Pages

Monday, September 08, 2014

King Solomon's Mines

This book!

I was so happy when a friend of mine mentioned this book during the Facebook BookBucket challenge. This book has been a big part of my childhood, this, and the Phantom comics defined adventure for me, and it was all about Africa.

I read the book first time in Asomiya retelling, and then in an abridged version. Finally, I read the whole thing, in detail, the adventures of Allan Quatermain, and his friends, the lost brother, Good and his love affair, the evil witch Gagool, Umbopa, the rightful king, and the desert and the lost city and the treasures, and the escape. Such adventures!

This book opened for me a whole new world, which included She Who Must Not Be Named. The story of Ayesha was equally fascinating, and this is how I discovered how an Asomiya writer had copied the entire plotline of She and transferred into Ladakh in a popular series of novels called Mahasweta.

And this is why I went to see that gawd-awful movie starring Sharon Stone, which could not do event an ounce of justice to the story. This is why years later I downloaded the movie, She, starring Ursula Andress. That is why I am such a fan of Alan Moore’s The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment