Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2008

A Ghost Story: A Short Play

Ghost Story
A provisional screenplay for a short movie


By Dibyajyoti Sarma

Characters:

The Ghost, in his late twenties or early thirties, wears faded blue denim and an off-coloured shirt, clean-shaven.

The Jogger, in his early forties, wears white shorts and t-shirt, and white sport shoes, plump face, sunken eyes, and bulky mustache.

Young Boy, in his early twenties, impeccably dressed, oiled hair, thick rimmed grasses, and a look of perpetual surprise in his face.

Rohan, eight years old, studies in convent, in school uniform, complete with school bag and water bottle.
The Man, in late thirties, moderately dress, in an ironed half-shirt and almost frayed trousers, clean-shaven with a bulging belly.

The Beggar, the typical get up, complete with filthy looks, rags, and a beggaring bowl.

The Loony with the Luna!

Gaurav, in his early thirties, wears light-coloured trousers and white shirt, long hair, earring on the right ear, unshaven, and a melancholy look.

Sunrise.
Credits.
On the background Jim Morison’s Awake Ghost Song (An American Prayer)…

Sunrise. Long shot. A jogging park. The crowd. The sunrays fall on the statue of Chhatrapati Sivaji riding a horse. Cut to the Ghost. He’s sleeping on a bench. As the camera moves towards him, he wakes up. The Ghost’s point of view. Joggers around. He spots a man jogging alone, with headphones in his ears. The Ghost gets up, starts jogging and reaches the Man.

Ghost:
Hi, good morning.
(The man looks at him and continues with his jogging, presumably lost in music.)
Ghost:
Hi, What a lovely morning!
(No response from the man. The Ghost talks to himself.)
Ghost:
Is he deaf, hearing impaired?
(Then he notices the earphone. Without much ado, he stands in front of the man, and pulls the earphone from his ears. The Jogger stops, surprised and angry.)
Jogger:
What the hell is this, you bastard?
Ghost: (Smiling innocently)
Hi, I said, good morning.
Jogger:
Good morning to him who fucks you, bastard! What do you want? (He searches for his pockets, fishes out a one-rupee coin and offers it to the Ghost.) Here, take this and get out of my sight. (He puts his earphones on and is about to jog again.)
Ghost:
One sec, one sec.
Jogger:
What!
Ghost:
I want to have a chat with you.
Jogger:
Chat! Here! Why don’t you go to some Internet CafĂ©?
Ghost: (Defensively)
You won’t lose anything if you talk to me for five minutes.
Jogger:
Now, what is it?
Ghost (Leaning forward, in whispers, as if he’s letting out some secret)
I can fulfill your wishes. Wish anything and it shall be granted.
Jogger:
Wish? (Impatiently) Are you done? For your kind information I don’t discuss business while I’m jogging. (He searches for his pocket again.) Here, take this card. Come to my office at (Thinks)… at 3:15. I’ll mark your appointment. (The Jogger leaves before the Ghost could say anything.)
Ghost:
What a stupid way to start the day. These bulbs without filaments human beings! God, I am so tired! I must leave this filthy place as soon as possible. It’s so boring out here.

Cut to a road. Long shot. We see the Ghost standing at the middle of the road with his hands over his head. A college going boy enters into the frame from the left. The camera follows the boy who is reading a book while walking. The Ghost’s profile. The Young Boy in long shot. The Ghost has seen the boy. The Ghost again. A mischievous smile in the Ghost’s face. His mission would be accomplished now. The Young Boy faces the Ghost.

Ghost:
Hi, where are you going?
Young Boy:
To the library.
Ghost:
But the library won’t open till ten o’ clock.
Young Boy:
Till then I’ll wait in the verandah and study. I have to study a lot. I have exams coming next month.
Ghost:
What Exam?
Young Boy:
I am going to be an IAS.
Ghost:
Wow! Great! Why do you want to be an IAS? (Desperately) Do you have any wishes?
Young Boy:
I don’t know. My father wants me to be an IAS.
Ghost: (To himself)
What else your father wants you to be, you motherfucker?
Young Boy:
You said something?
Ghost:
No.
Young Boy: (Ready to leave)
Can I leave now?
Ghost:
Oh, sure. Can I walk with you brother? You see I have nothing better to do. (He puts his arm into the Young Boy’s shoulder.) Tell me brother; did you ever fall in love?
Young Boy:
No. And if I ever did also, I won’t tell you.
Ghost: (Very innocently)
Why?
Young Boy:
You see, I loved this girl, Medha, oh, what a beauty she was… (Ecstasy) Her big eyes were like…like…
Ghost: (Impatiently)
Then…
Young Boy:
I told about her to my best friend, Sunil, the betrayer… (Sad) After six months, they were married.
Ghost: (Wickedly)
Good! (Then very innocently) Very sad! Do you want her back, your beloved Medha? (In a marketing executive style) I can get her back to you. Believe me, I can. You only have to wish her. (Desperately, almost forcefully) Do you wish she were with you right now, right here?
Young Boy: (Alarmed)
Oh, no, no. She’s now a mother of three kids. Last time I saw her she was fat and really ugly.
Ghost: (In a way of consoling himself)
Very Sad! (Then in a desperate try to leave no stone unturned) May be some other girl! May be someone like Aishwarya Rai (Very slowly) May be Aishwarya Rai herself.
Young Boy:
She would be older to me.
Ghost:
May be some yet to be born girl who will survive the pregnancy test. (The Ghost sounds annoyed which he is trying very hard to hide it. The Young Boy is baffled) Tell me brother, do you really have some wish?
Young Boy: (Thinks)
I have to ask my father.
Ghost: (Aggravated)
May be a bride for your father!
(Now the Young Boy is visibly angry)
Young Boy:
Can I leave now?
Ghost: (Irritably)
Oh, sure. (The Young Boy leaves. The Ghost shouts from the back) Good luck for your exams… (Lowering the tone) You motherfucker! (Angry, mostly upon himself) You son of a male donkey! (He kicks a stone lying on the tar road.) Stupid, fucking stupid, this world is. And now what am I supposed to do? Like those marketing guys with a shinning tie and torn underwear, am I supposed to go door to door asking people…? (He acts it out) Excuse me, here I’m, a Ghost, any wish, you can wish, a wish… please let me grant your wish… (He acts out as if someone is actually present in front of him) Please, please… and (Ecstasy)… And I’ll be free, free from this wretched world. (Pause) And if the woman of the house opens the door? (He comes to his original posture, thinks, scratches his head, ruffles his hair) Then, (Acts) Please excuse me, is there any male species in your house. A man with a real dick? (Comes back to his original) No, that would be too rude! I’ll say simply… (Back to marketing executive tone) Excuse me, can you call your husband please… (Pause, as if listening) Your husband is not at home? May be your brother-in-law with whom you sleep when your husband is out. (Back to original) No, no, too bad. (Back to executive tone) Excuse me, your son, your grandson… (Freezes for a second, slowly comes back to his original lazy self, throws down his hands in disgust) I am fucked up. I wish my worst enemy should not fall into a situation like this! I wish… (He mutters slowly) I wish…. (Pause) What’s the point in my wishing! Someone else has to wish, and I will fulfill the wish (In a benevolent posture raising his hand) Thy shall be done, Tathastu…bah… It would have been easy if I were not in a situation like this! (Walks slowly, counting his steps, then suddenly in a hysterical note)… A wish, a wish, a single wish, I am here to grant your wish, a wish that can change your life…come to me and fulfill your wish…please, please… (Two or three people pass by looking at him with the conviction that he’s mad, and depart with a look of pity or a smile. The Ghost squats on the tar road, desperate; close up, and then long shot; a mid long-shot, the Ghost and the endless tar road!)

Cut to an empty bus stand. Long shot, the bus stand with the road in the frame. The Ghost walks towards the camera. The Ghost’s profile, both sad and jocular. He is hopping, moving his hands with the tune he is singing. He sees a flower dangling on a branch of the nearby tree, jumps to pluck it, but fails. He smiles and leaves the effort. Slowly he walks towards the bus stop, still smiling. Close shot, the Ghost, he’s looking towards the sky; the sky in the frame; it’s late morning. Back to the Ghost, close-up; the Ghost is speaking to himself. While he speaks the camera moves from different angles primarily to focus that the Ghost is alone.
Ghost:
It’s been many days I’m wondering like this. Living my death in conditions. And what a stupid condition it is. I am to fulfill a wish of a man, a single wish that a man asks with conviction, with belief, and it has to be a man. It would have been so easy if I had to fulfill the wish of a woman, women are so easy to seduce, so gullible. And these men, they are unimaginative bastards. (Covers his face with his palms) I should have asked him, what was his name? How shall I know? He did not tell me before his death! As you are going to kill me now, let me tell you my name. How the blood spread into his white shirt. Red had been my favourite colour when I was alive. Those were the days, the meaningless existence. Oh! I owe hundred rupees to that barwala. (He fishes for his pocket, can’t find any money or purse. To himself) Ghosts don’t have money, you sissy. What do they have? I don’t know. But being a Ghost is a kind of good feeling. See how I’m breathing freely. (He breathes deeply and lets the air out) See, see. But I’m not free, I’m not free. This cursed wish, I am bound by this stupid curse. (He sits motionless as if to ponder over his state of affairs. The camera focuses on the road. A boy approaches. The Ghost’s face lights’ up in expectation.) A kid! Bless you my luck! (The boy approaches swinging his water bottle, gives the Ghost a quick look, sits comfortably on the chair and begins to chew a gum.) Hey kid!
Rohan: (Looking up, a severe look)
The kid has a name.
Ghost:
I don’t know.
Rohan:
Then you could probably ask me, my dear boy, what’s your name, like father Joseph does.
Ghost: (Mimicking Rohan)
My dear boy, what’s your name?
Rohan:
Harry Potter! (The Ghost gives a surprised look.) Oh, I was joking. My name is Rohan, Rohan Pardeshi.
Ghost:
Okay Rohan, tell me, do you wish to have a lot of chewing gum every morning in your bed? (The boy looks intently at him. The Ghost shrugs his shoulders in order to evade the tone of seriousness.) I can give you that wish, if you want.
Rohan:
Are you a kidnapper?
Ghost:
No, why?
Rohan: (Decisively)
Mom asked me not to take anything from strangers.
Ghost:
But I am not a stranger. I am talking to you. Am I not, like a friend?
Rohan: (Not sure)
But…
Ghost:
But what, my dear Rohan? Tell me anything you wish for. I will get it for you.
Rohan:
Anything?
Ghost: (Confidently)
Anything. (Not sure) Well, almost anything!
Rohan:
Ice-cream?
Ghost:
Yes.
Rohan:
Comics?
Ghost:
Yeah.
Rohan:
The Bat Man costume?
Ghost:
Yes.
Rohan:
A fighter plane?
Ghost:
Yes!
Rohan:
A revolver?
Ghost:
Yes?
Rohan:
Ok. That’s lot of options. Hang on… Ok, hey, I don’t know your name yet. You are still a stranger. Mom asked me not to take anything from strangers. What’s your name, by the way? (The mention of name confuses the Ghost. He does not answer.) You must have a name, like my name is Rohan. What’s yours?
Ghost: (Thinks)
Let me think.
Rohan:
Ok. (Continues with his chewing gum. The Ghost looks blankly at the horizon, muttering name, name…Turns to Rohan suddenly)
Ghost:
OK, call me your big brother, Bhai. (The boy’s attention is on the road. The school bus, for which he was waiting, approaches.)
Rohan:
Bhai… Nice name. Easy to spell. I must go now. Otherwise father Joseph would shout at me. (Before the Ghost could react, the boy disappears in the bus.)
Ghost:
What’s going on, huh? Why these people are behaving so mad? My rotten luck! What am I to do now? (Yawns) Wait for someone else to turn up? Again some maddening conversation and back to square one. The wish left ungiven. Dear me! Dear me! (He sits on the bus stand and freezes. Close up to his blank eyes, his expressionless face. He gets up from his sit and stretches his body) Must I wait here? Must I? (He drools over the railing.) I’m so lonely. (Sings) I’m single… (Suddenly his eyes are fixed on the road. Camera from his back looking at the road. A man with a small portfolio bag approaches. An office going man. He stops near the Ghost, looks at the watch.)
The Man:
Is the nine-thirty bus gone?
Ghost:
No idea! (More politely) Actually, I don’t have any idea. I just came. (He looks happy, mutters to himself) I am single and ready to mingle. (The Man is gawking at the road) By the way, where does this 9:30 bus go?
The Man:
To Chinchwad.
Ghost:
That’s the Tamarind Orchard!
The Man:
I didn’t get you.
Ghost:
I mean chinch is the Marathi for tamarind, no?
The Man:
Yes, you’re smart. What do you do? Studying in some college?
Ghost:
No. At the University. Currently I am working on a research project.
The Man:
Oh, great! What kind of research?
Ghost: (Pause)
Oh, it’s nothing actually. I am collecting data on the secret wishes of Indian men.
The Man:
That’s interesting. Tell me more. (The Ghost gives a peculiar expression, meaning he is not interested in telling the Man about his data; he would rather know his wish and grant it. The Man beams) Probably my wife could help you. She has enough information on the subject.
Ghost:
Oh, how interesting. What does your wife know?
The Man: (Beaming incessantly)
What do you think, would she tell me? Then what’s the use of her knowledge?
Ghost:
Why?
The Man:
Because.
Ghost:
Because?
The Man:
Young man, you ain’t married, are you? Get married, and you will understand.
Ghost:
You mean your wife knows about your secret wish?
The Man:
I bet she does.
Ghost:
And what does she know. (With the voice of a conspirator) If I may?
The Man:
Almost everything. She is my wife after all.
Ghost:
She knows that you are having an extra-marital affair.
The Man: (Almost scandalized, looking around, if someone else is listening) What are you talking about? My God, no. I have had enough with one affair.
Ghost:
So, yours was a love marriage?
The Man:
Doesn’t it look like?
Ghost:
Like What?
The Man:
Like I had a love affair before marriage.
Ghost: (Honestly)
Well, no.
The Man:
I know. (Almost in sad nostalgia) After all, marriage is different than love. It was wonderful when we were in love. (The Ghost is half listening) I was so desperate to meet her every evening. We planned about our future, our home, our kids… (The Ghost is not listening) Then one day we got married. Then also we were very happy. (The Ghost is desperate. He wants the subject to be changed) Now, I almost fear to return home in the evening…
Ghost:
What’s the time?
The Man:
Five minutes to ten. But why this blasted bus isn’t coming. My boss will shout at me again. But what can I do? Tell me. He offered to give me a loan to buy a two-wheeler. That would mean another cut in the salary. I don’t think I am ready for that.
Ghost:
But you did not tell me about your secret wish that your wife knows.
The Man: (Looking towards the road expecting the bus to arrive at any time, then trying to be funny) But if my wife knows about it then how could it be a secret wish.
Ghost: (Pleading)
Won’t you help me?
The Man:
Oh, your research! Yes, I have a wish, a very silly wish indeed. And you know, almost impossible.
Ghost: (Trying not to sound too concerned)
What is it, anyways?
The Man:
It’s that I wish my wife did not ask all my salary to hand over her.
Ghost: (Muttering)
Interesting! It’s a simple wish indeed, and a very easy one.
The Man:
Yes.
Ghost:
Do you want it to be fulfilled?
The Man:
What?
Ghost:
Do you want it to happen this way that your wife does not ask money from you again?
The Man:
How is it possible, unless she goes mad, of course! Then it would be another problem, spending money for her medication.
Ghost:
Nothing dramatic like that. (In the tone of a toy seller) Just ask for the wish to be granted, and I will fulfill it.
The Man:
You?
Ghost: (With pride)
Yes. I can fulfill any one of your wishes. Do you want it?
The Man:
Who are you? A magician?
Ghost: (In a cold voice)
None of your business. Talk about your concern. Do you want it?
The Man:
What?
Ghost:
Your wish.
The Man:
You can fulfill any wish?
Ghost:
Yes.
The Man:
Than why don’t you make my bus appear?
Ghost: (Shocked, as if he could not believe his ears)
What? You want the bus to appear right here? (Pause) But my dear man, the bus would arrive after some time anyways. Why are you wasting your precious wish for such a silly thing? Can’t you ask for something sensible?
The Man:
But why don’t you understand, I need to reach office on time. Otherwise my boss would scream at me. (In the background the sound of bus approaching. The Man’s face lights up) Alli re alli… The bus has come.
Ghost:
But what about your wish? (The Man is no longer interested. He is not listening to the Ghost. He waves at the bus to stop.)
The Man:
Good luck for you research. Do well.
Ghost:
But, hey listen… I can… (The bus zooms away. The Ghost runs after it.) Your wish! Think about your wish… Hey driver, wait. I can make you fly an airplane. (The bus is gone. The Ghost stands on the middle of the road, arms akimbo. Close shot. The Ghost’s face. Expressionless.) Buggers! (The camera moves closer to the Ghost’s face. Fade out.)

Cut to bustling green jungle, trees and bushes, rocks and old ruins. The camera spots the Ghost. He’s sprinting somewhere. Close shot to the Ghost’s legs, he’s running breathless. His face, he’s tired and huffing. The camera watches the Ghost run away into the jungle.

Cut to a muddy open ground in the jungle. The Ghost is sitting on his knees. His shirt is torn and is lying nearby. His head bends towards his chest.
Ghost:
My God! God! Can God help a Ghost? Can you, God? (He looks up. His face disheveled.) And I am back. Back here, where it all started. Here… (He points towards the ground in front of him.) Now, perhaps they have taken away the bodies. Including my own cadaver. (Pause) But that was the time we were alive. He and I. Alive. He was a birdwatcher, they told me. He liked watching birds. They said it was the best place to do the job, while he would be watching birds and no one would be watching him. Except me. I was afraid. I never did such a thing earlier. But you need the money, don’t you? They asked. I did. And I was shaking. My God, how nervous was I! Then I met him here. He was distracted by my arrival. He looked at me and gave me a smile. I could not smile back. I was shivering. I pulled out the pistol. It was cold. It made me shiver more. (He gets up disjointedly, acts out as if he’s holding a pistol facing his victim. He’s shaking visibly) Then the gunshot…bang…bang…ba…(Pause. Sound of birds hooting in the background.) And he fell there without a sound. (He goes across, stands at the side of the victim, acts out as if he has just received a gunshot, and falls on the ground. He lies motionless for several minutes. The camera is moving around him…Soft music…he wakes up with a start.) And I, I was watching the blood tickling…red. Red was my favourite colour then. I was watching. I could not move. Just get rid of the place as soon as you finish the job. They told me. I could not. I was watching him die. I was watching… My God what have I done? What have I done? (A long piercing shriek) Is anybody out there? (Fade out.)

Cut to a road with heavy traffic. Shops on both sides. The Ghost walks on the crowed pavements. As he walks, he ogles at the passers by, thinking about his prospects. A beggar appears in front of him.

Beggar: (With the gesture of a hungry man, touching his belly and then his mouth)
Sir!
Ghost:
What?
Beggar:
Hungry, sir! Did not eat anything for last two days!
Ghost:
Eat? (Then muttering himself) Oh, you have to eat also. How funny! You had not had anything to eat for last two days? (With sheer empathy) How sad!
Beggar:
Yes sir. One five rupees sir!
Ghost:
Only five rupees?
Beggar:
Yes sir.
Ghost:
Anything else?
Beggar:
Anything what sir?
Ghost: (His face brightened up by the prospect)
Anything. Anything you want. Do you want anything? (The Beggar does not understand. The Ghost corners the Beggar near a closed shop so that he could talk to him without being intruded by the pedestrians) You are filthy!
Beggar:
Yes sir. It’s easy and convenient, and useful.
Ghost:
OK. Never mind. What I was talking? Ok. See, I won’t elaborate it, but the fact remains that I don’t have any money with me.
Beggar: (Snaps)
Then why are you wasting my time? (He prepares to leave.)
Ghost:
Hey, listen to me. But I have something else that I can give you.
Beggar:
What is it?
Ghost: (In a whisper)
A wish!
Beggar: (Imitating the whisper)
A Wish!
Ghost: (Confidently)
Yes, a wish.
Beggar:
What’s a wish?
Ghost: (Almost shouting)
You don’t know what a wish is? What a shame! What a shame! A wish is, well, it’s something that you want: lot of money, a big house, a beautiful wife, or do you want to be a handsome young man wearing an Armani suit?
Beggar: (Jocularly, convinced that the person in front of him is mad.)
Ever heard of a handsome beggar? You are wasting my time, mister. Just leave me alone.
Ghost: (Angry)
You filthy fool! You would remain a beggar forever. (Calms down) Why don’t you understand, I can change you life…
Beggar:
What do you want?
Ghost:
That’s what I am asking you, what do you want?
Beggar:
If you have money, I want you to give me a five-rupee note. That’s all.
Ghost: (annoyed)
You brainless idiot! Do you understand the seriousness of this offer? This is once-in-a-lifetime offer, you stupid!
Beggar:
What (uttering very slowly) once-in-a-lifetime?
Ghost:
It will change your life forever.
Beggar: (Defensively)
Excuse me, I don’t want to change my life. I am happy being a beggar.
Ghost: (Almost shocked)
Oy, my dear ass-head! Why don’t you understand? Why don’t you wish for something? (The beggar’s expression: he would just be happy to be left alone. The Ghost takes notice) Ok. Ok. Enough of this nonsense. Tell me brother, what do you want?
Beggar:
Just a five rupee coin.
Ghost:
Just that?
Beggar:
Yes, just that, if you have. Otherwise just get out of my way. You are hampering into my business.

Cut to the jungle. The Ghost’s back towards the camera. Long shot. A loud yell.

Ghost:
Is anybody out there? (Pause) I know nobody’s here. Nobody will come to rescue me. Nobody can. My God. My God. What have I done? (Turns hysterical. Then suddenly back to normal) This mucky place. How I hate this place, this earth, this existence! Why must I stick to this place, forever, experiencing all these over and over again? Why? Why can’t I get rid of this place? Why can’t I, now that I am dead? (Hysterical again) Is anybody out there? (Back to normal) No. No one listens to a dead man. But hey, I am not dead. I am just a Ghost. But why must I be a Ghost? Life was already worse. Now being a Ghost, connected to this wretched world, among those men… (Long pause. The Ghost walks round the place where he killed the man. Like some kind of a ritual dance, he moves round in a circle, first slowly, then very fast. As he moves, he unbuttons his shirt, pulls it off, and throws away. After few seconds he stops. Freeze. He points towards the ground.) Here…(Pause) Here. Here he was lying, blood tickling from his body, soaking his white shirt in bright scarlet. And here I stood, watching him, watching him die. (Close up, no expression) He died. (Long shot. The bright day light of the scene changes into sepia tone. The sound of the wind blowing in the background. The Ghost speaks very slowly.) And I stood watching. The morning turned into day, the day into evening, the evening into night. The dark night grew inside me… The living hell I visited that night and onwards every night. And I stood watching him die, while dying my own death. (The sound of the wind grows) The night sucked me, enveloped me with void. I wanted to scream. I couldn’t. I wanted to run. I couldn’t… Night after night, I was tortured, night after night, until I turned into a Ghost…suspended between the two pole of existence, life and death. (The sound of the wind almost muffles his voice.) And then this condition… (The wind wins.)

Cut to a road. Bright daylight. The camera focuses upon a man squatting near an old two-wheeler. The Ghost enters into the frame.

Ghost:
Why the man is squatting near the Luna? Probably, he’s a loony, not my type!

Cut to a long winding staircase leading to a temple on the hills. The Ghost is sitting in one of the stairs. He’s thinking. Then suddenly he realizes that the camera is looking at him.

Ghost:
Hey you, what are you staring at? Just leave me alone!

Cut to a park. Long shot. The Ghost is meandering among the crowd. The camera follows the Ghost for a while.

Cut to the sky, blue with feather white clouds. Back to the Ghost. He is lying on the rock bed over the hilltop. The city skyline through the Ghost’s point of view. The Ghost is humming a tune. He sounds happy. People scouting at the hilltop. Breeze. Joyous environment. Very lazily the camera captures a youth on the cliff leading to a precipice, leaning towards the fall, his hands stretched out, his shirt fluttering in the wind. For a fraction, the figure stands at the middle of the frame. The camera moves clockwise. A sudden jerk. The camera is back again on the figure. The Ghost gets up. He face terse with concern. He shouts:

Ghost:
Oy, oy… (He runs towards the youth.) Hey, young man, what’s up? (The figure is about to fall when the Ghost grabs him. The youth struggles to get away from his clutches. A small fisticuff)
Gaurav:
You fucker, what do you think you are doing?
Ghost:
That’s what I am asking you brother, what are you up to, huh?
Gaurav:
Who do you think are you to ask me that? Mind your own business and leave me alone.
Ghost:
Oh, Sure. (Leaves the grab of the youth’s hand.) I am sorry. I just saw you falling from the cliff, and tried to help you.
Gaurav: (Still very angry, fuming)
Oh, yeah! Thank you very much. (He turns his face away from the Ghost)
Ghost: (Persistent to continue the conversation)
One wonders why you should be standing on such a dangerous spot.
Gaurav:
Yes. One wonders!
Ghost:
What do you think?
Gaurav: (Irritably)
What do you think?
Ghost:
You tell me.
Gaurav: (Exasperate)
Just leave me alone, you son-of-a-bitch. Don’t stand here and eat my brain. (The Ghost breathlessly looks at the youth, waiting for him to continue. The youth screams) I was trying to die, ok?
Ghost: (Elated)
Wow, brilliant. (The youth looks flustered. He is expecting a long sermon against suicide.) One wonders why?
Gaurav:
One wonders! (Pause)
Ghost:
What a lovely breeze! (He sits on the ground, his legs stretched)
Won’t you sit down and enjoy the evening.
Gaurav: (Looks at the precipice again, still willing to go ahead with his plan)
No.
Ghost: (Very politely)
Why not? (The youth gives a last desirous look towards the cliff, and sits down.)
Gaurav:
Who are you?
Ghost:
What do you think? Don’t I look like a man?
Gaurav:
Yes, you do. (The Ghost looks unhappy at the news.)
Ghost:
What’s your name?
Gaurav:
Gaurav, what’s yours?
Ghost:
I am …(a)… Ghost.
Gaurav:
Wow, that’s quite a name. The Phantom, the Ghost who Walks… That’s interesting. So what’s your story?
Ghost:
What story?
Gaurav:
Your story. Everyone has a story to tell which interests no one but the storyteller. I am sure you also have one, and you are looking for someone to tell your story. (Pause) Ok. Go ahead. I will listen to your story.
Ghost:
But why would you be interested in my story.
Gaurav:
Interested? For God’s sake, no. I am not interested in your story. I am just doing what I must. I am just doing what you would like me to do.
Ghost:
Why?
Gaurav:
Because that’s what I am supposed to do. Anyways, why should you be interested in my story? Isn’t it enough that I am listening to you? (Long Pause. Gaurav is trying to pull some grasses.)
Ghost:
Gaurav?
Gaurav:
Yes.
Ghost:
Have we met before?
Gaurav:
No.

Cut to darkness. The ghost breathes heavily. The night of the jungle…

Ghost:
I can’t do this, going on and on… I must stop somewhere. I must meet my fate, my end. But where’s the end? (Violent music) Someone smiles in the darkness. Who’s it? The birdwatcher? Did he know he would die like this, un-mourned in a jungle? And what about me? How would I know my end? How would I find my end? (Pause; the music increases) Does one need an end?

Cut to a small alley with houses on the both sides, and stray dogs on the road. It’s night. One can see the yellow glimmer of light from windows faraway. The ghost walks absentmindedly. Suddenly a two-wheeler appears on the road, and stops in front of him. The rider removes the helmet. It’s Gaurav. Both of them are surprised.

Gaurav:
What are you doing here?
Ghost:
I can ask you the same question.
Gaurav:
This is my house, damn it. Are you following me?
Ghost: (Surprised)
No! Why should I follow you? It’s another thing that I liked you very much.
Gaurav:
Do you really? (The Ghost nods.) Where do you stay?
Ghost:
Nowhere.
Gaurav:
You are very funny. Why don’t you come inside, and spend the night with me. But don’t make a sound. My father should not get a whiff. And you must leave before morning. Is it okay? (The Ghost nods.)

Cut to Gaurav’s room. He plays a seducer to the Ghost. The Ghost is unmoved. Gaurav is tired but understanding.

The Ghost and Gaurav in Gaurav’s room.

Ghost:
What’s your story, Gaurav?
Gaurav: (Looks at the Ghost with suspicion)
I am a freak, a pervert. You won’t be interested in my story.
Ghost:
You bet I am.
Gaurav:
Why?
Ghost:
Probably, I am a freak too.
Gaurav: (Surprised)
No! No, you’re not. You look very normal. Besides no one claims himself that he’s a pervert.
Ghost:
You just did.
Gaurav:
I don’t say that I am a pervert. That’s what people say.
Ghost:
That’s why you were planning to commit suicide? (Gaurav does not answer.) What is it Gaurav, you do not like this world? This sound and sight, light and darkness…
Gaurav:
No.
Ghost:
Your appetite, hunger and thirst…and all these things that money can buy…
Gaurav:
No.
Ghost:
Then those abstract things like love…hatred, you primal desires, your basic instincts… (Gaurav does not answer. Gaurav’s Profile, lost in thought. The Ghost looks at him intently.) Gaurav, what’s your story? Were you in love? (Gaurav does not answer) But nobody will listen to you. (Gaurav does not answer) Your desires left unfulfilled. (Gaurav does not react.) What’s your story?

Gaurav‘s fantasy!

Gaurav and the ghost. Another time and place.

Gaurav: (Gets up, looks towards the horizon)
There’s no story. For a story you need people. People who respect each other. Who love each other. (Very slowly) L-O-V-E, what an idea! There is no story. Lonely people do not make stories.
Ghost:
But you are not alone. Mein hoon na. I’m your friend.
Gaurav:
Friend!!
Ghost:
Yes.
Gaurav: (Smiling ironically)
Friend. You barely know me brother. Know my story and you will leave me alone.
Ghost:
How can you be so sure?
Gaurav:
Sure! I have seen the world, brother. In last twenty-eight years, I have seen enough, all the shades of life. And when night comes, I am alone… have you ever been lonely, brother? It kills.
Ghost:
And there was a love story?
Gaurav:
There was no love story. Love demands more sensitivity that telling someone that you are a freak.
Ghost: (In a mellow voice)
That’s no reason to die.
Gaurav:
That’s reason enough. The world is very big, and I am very lonely.
Ghost:
Why? The world is full of people. Then why must you be lonely?
Gaurav:
People don’t count. It’s the love that counts. There is no love, anywhere.
Ghost:
That’s not true.
Gaurav:
That’s true.
Ghost:
Here, I am talking to you. Isn’t it love?
Gaurav:
In a few minute you will be away, leaving me alone to be consumed by the night. (Melancholy tone) I am afraid of darkness. (Long Pause.)

Cut to the evening hurriedly reaching for the night. The world outside. Happy-go-lucky.

Gaurav and the ghost. Another time and place.

Ghost:
Do you believe me, Gaurav?
Gaurav:
You are a phantom. I can’t believe you.
Ghost:
But you can try to. I can help you.
Gaurav:
Nobody can help me.
Ghost:
First listen to me and then decide. You wanted to know my story. I will spare you the details. The point is, I can fulfill one of your wishes, you wish anything and it shall be done.
Gaurav:
What wish?
Ghost:
Something that you want desperately. Something, (Looks into his eyes) your beloved. Do you want that person to be with you right here? (Gaurav is surprised, eager) Do you want that person to love you as you always wished?
Gaurav: (Wants to say yes jubilantly, but restrains himself)
That’s not right, to force someone out of his will…
Ghost: (Slowly, without much hope)
Then probably someone else?
Gaurav:
Wait a minute. Are you sure you can fulfill any wish?
Ghost:
Yes. I am sure about it.
Gaurav:
You are very kind. What do you do?
Ghost: (Getting his business tone back)
Gaurav, don’t worry about others. Think about yourself. What do you want? (Gaurav does not answer.) What do you want?
Gaurav:
I’m very lonely.
Ghost:
Tell me Gaurav.
Gaurav:
I want a friend, a company.
Ghost:
Gaurav.
Gaurav:
Ok. Ok. (Pause) I wish you. I wish you to be with me, always.
Ghost: (Yelling)
Gaurav!! What are you talking about??
Gaurav:
Grant my wish, Phantom.
Ghost:
Gaurav!!
Gaurav:
Grant my wish, Phantom, grant my wish…
Ghost: (A long shriek)
No…

The darkness envelops.

Credits


Dibyajyoti Sarma
October 5, 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment