Pages

Sunday, February 04, 2018

The Act of Letting Go/ 1/ This Videocon Little Cooler. 13 years after receiving this used artefact as a gift, and five years after leaving Pune, I finally managed to give it away, to the great relief of my friend who was hording it for me all this while. Not that I was attached to it, or it had any intrinsic empirical value to me. For me, the cooler was the ideal of a future that could have been and which was now lost. This cooler was a memento mori of a time when I was in love, when I happy for one last time. I paid for it through tears and two broken teeth. One died and escaped and the other was condemned to reconstruct memories. 18 years is too long a time to mourn for someone, and after all these years, I have learnt that object cannot store memories. I am the memory of a future that could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment