Pages

Friday, March 20, 2015

Intersteller

Finally, I got a copy of Chris Nolan’s Intersteller. I was once a Nolan fan. I still love The Prestige. I saw The Dark Knight, Inception and The Dark Knight Rises in the theatre, first day first show. Then, somehow, I lost interest. Even the brouhaha that Intersteller made could not make me go and check out the film.

Last night, I saw portions of the film. It is long, of course. I saw the last half-an-hour with interest, without actually understanding much. But the scenes looked gorgeous, especially the wormhole, Gargantua. And the whole fifth dimension/third dimension tesseract (I know about tesseract, thanks to those Marvel Superhero movies) of a young girl’s room over and over again, was thrilling, and moderately interesting.

Then fadeout, and Coop is rescued and he is on a space station orbiting Saturn (with a scene which is a nice homage to Inception’s weird dream), and he meets his old and dying daughter. And, then, the daughter urges the father to go meet Dr Brand, still young, in a different galaxy. Because, she says, “A parent shouldn't have to watch their own child die.”

I found the dialogue very curious, as if I have heard it before. Then I remembered. This is a reworking of what King Theoden said in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: “No parent should have to bury their child.”

Now, I could only imagine how much of the movie is borrowed, reworked upon.

PS. Talking about Nolan and neat endings, you know, Coop goes back to Brand and they meet and mate and their children/grandchildren are those ‘beings’ who created the fifth dimension/third dimension tesseract to help Coop come to space in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment