Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Alternate Universes

Alternate Universes. I’m thinking of alternate universes, not because I don’t like being in this one, but, I was wondering, if I would make the same mistakes I did in this universe. I am sure I would. Not mistake as much as how I decided to live my life. The Choices. The what ifs? What if I did not leave the Wadia College hostel on July 29, 1999 and decided to walk on the road leading to hotel Le Meridien. What if, I declined the offer? What if I took the offer to travel to Paris in 2004? What if!!!

Trouble is no one is sure what this alternate universe looks like, and everyone has his own version about it.

Traditionally, and also according to the hit TV series ‘Fringe’, one of my favourites, there are several universes connection to our world, and in each universe, there is a version of us. Each of us in each of these universes have the same backgrounds, but the choices we make may be different, this may lead to different consequences.

In His Dark Materials trilogy, author Phillip Pullman creates universes which may be similar to ours, or may be not. And each universes had some unseen doors/windows though which people can slip back and forth from one universe to another. Pullman has one important logic. One may be able to travel to the other universes, but he cannot live there long; he must return to his universe sooner or later.

As we all know, we must. The flight of fancy cannot last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment