Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Solaris

The other day someone asked about my favourite movies. Name one film you genuinely liked, the friend asked me.

Now, that’s a difficult question to answer. I have watched uncountable number of films; I have at least 2,000 films in my collection. To pick just one name is impossible.

Several names vied for the honour: Seven Samurai, In the Mood for Love, Happy Together, Ten Canoes, My Neighbour Totoro, Stalker, Wings of Desire, Casablanca, Kings and Queen, The Valley of the Bees... the list grows bigger by the minute.

But, I will have to pick just one film. If you really insist, here it is: Andrei Tarkovasky’s Solaris (I don’t mind if you allow me to add Stalker with it.)

Kris Kelvin outside his father’s house as he gets ready to leave the Earth for Solaris, a recently discovered planet

Kris Kelvin’s father’s house. This is perhaps the best house ever featured in a film. If I were given all the resources to build my dream house, it would look like this

No comments:

Post a Comment