Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Chungking Express

If you ask me to choose a Wong Kar-Wai film, it won’t be Chungking Express (1994). It would be In The Mood For Love (2000). Then, give me any Kar-Wai film, and I will be glued to the screen. Then, you give me any film that has Tony Leung, and I will be glued to the screen.

Naturally, for me, the best scenes in Chungking Express are those when Tony Leung’s character’s talks to himself in his apartment after his girlfriend has dumped him. In most parts of these scenes, he’s in a white underwear and a white baniyan, and talks to objects in the house, a soap bar, a mop, a shirt, and reprimands them for not able to forget the girl who has left him.

It’s so poetic and so romantically done, I can see those scenes, like, forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment